Wednesday, March 15, 2017

I'm speaking to Gen Z...and I'm nervous

I've been invited to speak to two business and marketing classes at a local high school and gladly accepted when the invitation was extended. I'm now in deep prep for my appearances and, as I research and plan, have to admit that I'm very nervous about what I'm to present.

Think about it - this is a generation that has never known a world without mobile devices, that for the majority of its motor skill life has only known touch screens, and for who the paradox of choice means the only product and service consumption life they have known. I, on the other hand, remember when we had three television stations to choose from and when a wireless phone required antennas and battery packs! Talk about a generational divide!

Seriously, the learning divide between how my generation gathered information, learned and applied is so vastly different than this current crop of tweens and teens. Yet, this whole effort is helping me realize the challenge that brands face as they figure out this new cohort.

In recent research conducted by Futurecast, a Barkley company, this cohort was dubbed the Pivotal Generation because they are "battling the duality of traditional and non-conformist values and behaviors."

Interestingly, Futurecast's work indicates that Gen Z resembles Boomers in that they are earnest, hard-working and driven by traditional values of success. Yet, they're also bringing radical views on race, gender, identity and sexuality into our culture. They're socially and technologically empowered, meaning that their impact on our society is going to be immense.

I'm working much harder than expected on a presentation that I initially thought would be easy. Yet, as I prepare, I'm fascinated by the differences in my content for these two classes compared to the undergraduate and graduate class guest lecturing that I've handled in the past.

I'll let you know how it goes - wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment