Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Chapter One: My Art to Start

Today is a new chapter.

Entrepreneur. Small business owner. My own boss.

Today is the day that I officially announce the formation of Goff + Marketing. It's chapter one in my new adventure of starting my own business.

I've spent the past two months doing what I imagine most entrepreneurs do - drinking a lot of coffee as part of the never-ending process of one-on-one networking meetings where I pick the brains of others for tips, for advice and, most importantly, for leads. It's been a fascinating journey, which is why I decided to document it here and will continue to do so as I maneuver through the road course of starting a business. (In NASCAR parlance, "this ain't no oval track.")

One thing I noticed right away is the surprise of who responds and who doesn't. Long-time colleagues that I thought would be there at my side, helping guide me and provide business ideas have suddenly gone off the grid. Conversely, I've been taken aback by those who have gone above and beyond to connect me with someone, to check back in, and to be there as a partner on my journey. And, I've reconnected with others that haven't been a part of my daily work network for years.

Observation number two is that those who have gone through this journey before me are very willing to help and to offer guidance on what to do and what to avoid. Some of my most valuable counsel has come as a result of these meetings, including the one new introduction who said "You've got to read Guy Kawasaki's The Art of the Start."

Already a fan of Kawasaki, I dutifully ordered the book off of Amazon as soon as our breakfast meeting concluded, received it two days later (thank you, Amazon Prime) and read it in about an hour. The first words in the book are from a Hasidic saying, "Everyone should carefully observe which way his heart draws him, and then choose the way with all his strength."

WOW. That him home immediately as the tug to start my own business had come weeks ago in a way that was even surprising to me. The risk of starting a new business, the uncertainty of a paycheck that varies from month to month, working out of a home office versus in a dynamic environment of diverse talents. Yet, the voice kept telling me "do it!"

Kawasaki's advice, in that very first chapter, continued to strike a chord:
1. Make meaning.
2. Make mantra, i.e., forget boring mission statements.
3. Get going.
4. Define your business model.
5. Weave a M A T - Milestones, Assumptions and Tasks.

I kept reading and never looked back.

So, is it art to start? My start-up may not be the most artistic and I likely will need to remind myself often of the above five things I need to accomplish. Yet, here I am - with some work in place (as a result of my "soft launch"), a business card in hand, a website that looks pretty good, a headful of ideas and the grey hair to reinforce the experience I provide to a client partner.

My heart is being drawn in this direction. Let me now choose it with all my strength.

Come join me on the journey.


1 comment: